The 2011 Fort Worth CANstruction® competition was held October 9th at North East Mall in Hurst, Texas. CANstruction® is an international effort that supports local and regional competitions to challenge architects, engineers, interior designers and students to create huge sculptures made from cans of food. The Fort Worth area CANstruction® competition food structures are donated to the Tarrant Area Food Bank to serve families in need in Tarrant County and 13 surrounding counties (after exhibition and judging). As a result, thousands of local hungry people are fed, a greater awareness of the issues surrounding hunger is brought home to the public, and a spotlight is placed on the design and construction industry giving back to the communities it helps build. This year’s winners were:
- Jurors Favorite: Freese and Nichols - "Angry Birds Take Aim at Hunger"
- Best use of Labels: VLK - "1=3"
- Best Meal: HHS - "On the Front Lines Battling Hunger"
- Structural Ingenuity: Dunaway - "Together, We CAN Build A Better, Healthier Future"
- Honorable Mention: TCC - "The Art of Ending Hunger"
- Honorable Mention: Jacobs - "I Meant what I Said , And I Said What I Meant, We Mean to End Hunger 100 Percent!"
- People’s Choice Award: JQ - "Give Hunger A Lickin'"